Saturday, December 10, 2016

Fw: Open letter to PM Modi from a single mother of three #Demonetization

This was shared by a friend on facebook, who is the author. Keeping identity anonymous to protect the lady from the bhakts.

*Dear Modiji*

I voted for you. Because I *wanted change*.

Now I am confused because I have *no change* for the two thousand rupees you have given me.

I am a *single mother* of three trying to work and balance home.
I had fifty thousand rupees of *my hard earned money* at home for emergencies on the day *you declared them waste paper*.

This was *not black money*. This was money I had earned and *worked hard and saved.*

I know I can put them back in my bank but have you seen the queues

I took a holiday stood five hours outside a bank and got four thousand rupees in two thousand rupees notes.

After that I had no energy to stand in queue to deposit rest of the money

Elated with my money I went to the milk stall.
The man very curtly told me if you have change buy the milk because I have no change
He showed me his own two thousand rupees notes he got from the bank.
These are useless he grumbled

I went to my favourite vegetable vendor
She had very few vegetables
What happened I asked her
She said she had very little money to buy vegetables
Then she looked at me warily and asked, Memsaab you will give me change for the vegetables?
I have no change

I looked at the two thousand in my hand and said I have this
She removed her two thousand and showed me. I also have only that.

No milk no fruits for the kids today

My head was throbbing I went to the chemist.
A board greeted me
We will accept only hundred rupees.
We accept higher denomination currency only if you use the complete amount with us

Went to grocer asked for bread and butter and a bottle of water
Went to pay with my two thousand rupees
He looked at me sadly
Aunty I have no change but since you are a regular customer you can pay me later
I took the goods and hailed an auto

Instead of the usual surly, Kidhar jaana hai he belted out, Choota hai to baitho.
I showed him my two thousand rupees he showed me his

I started walking home
Tired I reached home
Gave the kids bread butter and water
They looked at me puzzled, Mom why we don't have proper food today? they innocently asked.

I showed them the crisp new two thousand rupees

This is Monopoly money? The young one asked innocently .

Yes it is, I replied because it can buy only imaginary goods

Called the boss. Asked for a leave next day
He said, why? Did you not get to exchange your money
I said, Yes but it was no use the crisp notes were useless anywhere I went
So what will you do with another leave he said. They will still give to another two thousand rupees.

I said I don't want leave to go to bank I want leave to start a protest.
What, he exclaimed

I said, no one seems to be protesting this arbitrary decision.

Those with black money are still sitting in their AC palaces.
They are not standing in queues to get their own money.
The ones with black money are now poorer by a few crores but what difference those few crores will make when they have so much.

It's us the common folk who are bearing the brunt of this abrupt change Modiji thought of.
I can't use my own money, old or new.
Can you imagine how many like me are there in this country who are so badly hit by this.

My boss was quiet.
Where are you staging the protest?
I will join you.

>> again, I'll remind the casual arguer : You're challenging a single mother of three kids to prove her patriotism to you by standing in long queues.. for getting more useless pink notes that she has already stood in line for. Go cashless? My father and brother recently got cheated by PayTM's "cashless" solution twice in a row; the money they transferred never reached the shopkeepers whom we know well and trust to not be frauds. PayTM is just not responding.

Update, 11.12.16: Check out this article. Could the story above be a consequence of this..
https://www.thequint.com/india/2016/11/16/printing-of-rs-100-notes-stalled-as-focus-shifts-to-rs-2000-rs-500-notes-demonetisation-black-money-rbi-currency-ban
Printing of Rs 100 Notes Stalled as Focus on Rs 2,000 and Rs 500
... "The Reserve Bank of India’s preoccupation with printing the new Rs 2,000 and Rs 500 notes has almost completely stopped the printing of Rs 100 notes – at this point in time, the most sought after currency – leaving the country staring at a potentially huge financial and economic crisis."

No comments:

Gift Economy

Would you like to show your appreciation for this work through a small contribution?
Contribute

(PS: there's no ads or revenue sources of any kind on this blog)

Related Posts with Thumbnails